The 200 mph KR has come back on the stage. Here are some thought thereto.

In the back of the hangar we have a KR1. It is not and never will be in
flying condition. It's ancestry is unknown. I gave Jay $300.00 for it which
is what he had given Hank who is gone now and we will never know where he
acquired it. It is a second generation KR1 with the four Lord motor mounts
in the firewall and the large hinged canopy. It has become mock-up to our
main project and an educational project with grandson.

 With the canopy off and the cowling over the gas tank removed the whole
fuselage is exposed. That is when 200mph conjecturing starts. Suppose we
move the firewall back to the main spar and the pilot back so that his/her
knees are above the rear spar. The fuselage is extended to keep it wide
enough to accommodate the pilot's shoulders and maybe a bit more. This
opens a wide possibility for engine. Some where approaching 200 horsepower
is required. Lycoming and Continental make engines in that range but if one
wants to go all the way there are auto based engines with Chev Corvette
based ones most available.

 At some point we have been here before. The Percival Mew Gull of British
air racing during the 1930s comes to mind. It was about the size of our KR
based design. It had a 233 hp Gypsy Six and a top speed of well over our
benchmark 200mph. Alex Henshaw set the to South Africa and back [6000+
miles] in 1939 in G-AEXF hand flying with a compass.

 For 200 mph there probably not be muck KR1 left but one must start
somewhere.

 Bill Weir