That was me.  (Nerobro)

"Why don't I think [valve cooling] works out in favor of larger valves."

I was on my phone at the time, and didn't have time to do any real math.  I
could be wrong.  But it was my hunch.  I'm happy to be wrong in public
though, so lets see here.  Assuming similar valve grinds, so you get equal
contact width between the head and valve.  I'm going to use some fanciful
sizes, because they're easy.  A 1" valve and a 2" valve.  A 1" valve will
have a circumference of 3.14".  That 1" valve will have an area of .785".
That gives you .25 sqin of face area per inch of valve to head contact.
Okey, lets do a 2"valve..  6.28" circumference,  3.14" of valve area.  That
gives you .5 sqin of face area per inch of valve to head contact.  A 3"
valve (just to set the curve.. as that needs at least three points..) has
.75 square inches of valve area per inch of seat.  As you get larger
valves, you get less room to transfer heat to the head.

Assuming that the valve stems are similar sizes, you'll get similar amounts
of heat transferred to the valve guides, and oil in the heads.  If the
valve is larger, you will have more heat gathering area.

Am I missing something?

It doesn't follow that larger valves won't get hotter.  The peak temps in
an IC engine are around 3600degF.  The cylinder head is going to be less
than 460degF.  Stainless steel melts at 2700degF.  Exhaust gasses are high
enough to melt valves.  Every time that valve opens, it gets bathed by a
fast flow of hot, turbulent, gasses.  The perfect sort of thing to transfer
heat to them.

A smaller valve, will start off cooler.  Because it's smaller, it's got a
higher ratio of mass to places to transfer heat out of itself.  Given
similar valve stem diameters, the smaller valve will be able to sustain
higher heats longer, as it's collecting less heat from the gas stream.
This is evidenced by airplane engines have big valve stems and frequently
sodium filled valves as ways to get heat out of those valves.

Having a large head on a valve, increases the heat collecting area, and
does unfavorable things to the heat transfer properties.  Even if the
valves greater mass makes it heat up less in a single cycle, it's going to
get hotter in the long term.  For it to get rid of the same heat load per
square inch, it will need to transfer more heat across a smaller area.
This means the larger valve can't cool down as fast as the smaller valve.

Additionally, using a car engine at airplane rpms, makes the port speeds
rather slow.  I'd be apt to use the smallest valves and ports I can get my
hands on.

And i'm 100% on board with you on the difference between a cheap valve job,
and a good one.  :-)

-Nerobro