-----Original Message-----
From: Flesner via KRnet
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 5:52 PM
To: KRnet
Cc: Flesner
Subject: Re: KR> to host a Gathering

At 05:14 PM 7/3/2015, you wrote:

>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I think I used up a big portion of good luck in that crash. Can't thank
Larry and Chris Collins and every one else enough for all the help.

I thought I would throw my opinion out there on "gathering" locations. I've
only been to two. MTV in 2012 and Chino last year. Of course that is not
counting 2009 when I crashed.
I flew my new Kr to Chino last year and it was a great fly in. I'm still
partial to MTV. When I made that big mess in the bean field, Larry and the
airport manager Chris Collins and some others cleaned it up while I was in
the hospital. Chris helped me in so many ways and helped me load what was
left of my kr in my truck the next year.

Mount Vernon airport seems as close to perfect as one could hope for. Great
camping area, large hangers and a terminal building with a restaurant and
conference rooms,  long wide runways and relatively low air traffic. It is
also nice to be close to the runway for flybys and watching airplanes. While
it is not right in the middle of the country, it's close. Chris Collins
works overtime to accommodate the gathering and keeps the atmosphere
laidback. I stop by the airport once a year when out visiting relatives and
Chris always takes time to show me what is going on around the airport.
Plus, it is very easy airspace to navigate. Of course Larry does a fantastic
job of organizing the event.

Chino was a good refresher on airspace regs and navigation.

Flying long cross counties in these small planes is a challenge. You have to
really want to do it and plan carefully. I agree this Mark that we should
have the gathering in other places around the Country, but keep utilizing
Mount Vernon as kind of a "Home Base"

Looking forward to this years gathering if I can make my schedule work out.

Roger Bulla

Yes, I did forget something.  There was an AirEvac helicopter, in the
air, waiting for Roger Bulla to plant his KR in a nearby bean field,
then picked him up and flew him to the hospital.  I can't take credit
for planning that support as it was not a scheduled event but it did
happen.  :-)

Larry Flesner