Mark,

You and others bring about some very good points.  I do agree that one
of the biggest issue with the car engine is that the cylinders were
cooled via a fan that was on the back of the generator.  This then
forced air through an oil cooler, after which, that same air was to cool
the cylinders and head.  The #3 cylinder was then the hottest running
cylinder.  On my bus, I did have an external oil cooler and also had an
air scoop on the side of the to force more air into the engine
compartment and the oil cooler was mounted so the outside air crossed it
first.  The bus engine blew up in Minneapolis. In retrospect, I believe
one of my biggest issues was getting the valves adjusted to the precise
clearances. The other was my young age and trying to drive the VW harder
than was meant to be driven. Now I am an old person that knows better.

I have also been very educated from you and others about the valves
themselves and did not know the information about how the original
valves were produced.  Thanks much for the education.

Earl