Paul Visk wrote:

 >> Yesterday I filled my out board wing tank and found it holds 10
gallons. With my stub wing tanks of 4 gallons each.  I want to add a 10
gl header tank to help with cg. Total of 38 gallons. What are some of
fuel capacity of some of the bigger tanks out there?  I'm thinking this
might be a little to much. I'll be putting on  a 3.0L Carvair.<<

My 3100cc Corvair burns right at 4 gph running 160 mph economy cruise.
I could burn more, but the engine is very happy at 3150 rpm, and any
faster starts burning way more fuel than the speed increase warrants.
So 24 gallons is 6 hours of flying, maybe 5 if you consider the higher
fuel burn of climbout and the half hour required reserve.  Neither my
back nor bladder would stand much more than four hours, so that's plenty
for me.  Keep in mind that any fuel capacity that you have will count
against your gross weight, which is another reason I deleted my header
tank entirely, even after having built it completely.

Keep in mind that the bigger your header tank is, the more difficult
your wiring  behind the panel will be to access.  I've put a lot of
hours on N56ML with no header tank at all, and I've never missed it.
Three eight gallon wing tanks gets me there just fine...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com