Jeff,Thanks for the Raspberry link. This is a great option.?
Bill Jacobs Daytona Beach, Fl.

     On Friday, September 18, 2015 10:27 AM, Jeff Scott via KRnet <krnet at
list.krnet.org> wrote:

 Mark,

Both are good.? To me, it comes down to versatility.? I use an iFly 720 and
also run the iFly software on my 7" Android.? Both teh iFlly and Android talk
to my Skyguard ADS-B gear at the same time and are capable of talking to a lot
of different ADS-B equipment.? With Foreflight, you are pretty much locked into
Stratus as yoru ADS-B source, although a couple of other units claim to talk to
ForeFlight.

Since I dont' have an iPad, I am assuming the iPad function is similar if not
identical to my use of the android.? Running iFly on the Android, it uses the
3g/4g network to grab a nationwide weather snapshot when I bring up iFly, so I
have a current overlay of of nationwide NexRad radar as well as every
AWOS/METAR/TAF/Winds Aloft report nationwide.? Without ADS-B, the 3g/4g network
will update the weather whenever you are in range of a cell tower, which is
often a limitation of altitude as Roger describes for his use of Foreflight.

With ADS-B, as soon as I turn on the ADS-B unit, the Android connects to the
ADS-B WiFi and shuts down the 3G/4G network.? From that point forward, I get
the local NexRad radar overlay updated at 3 minute intervals, METAR/TAF/Winds
updated at hourly intervals or less and a traffic overlay.

I think you will find the functionality to be similar.? It's just a matter or
preference.? I stick with iFly because they are willing to support a large
number of ADS-B units, while Foreflight seems to be married only to Stratus.? I
prefer not to be locked into a single vender.?

Also, if you are already paying for iFly, adding on the iPad only costs another
$20/yr.? But I think you will find that both will allow you a 30 day free test
drive, so download one and test drive it for a month, then download the other
and test drive it and make your own decision.? While you're doing that, you may
also want to evaluate WingX and FlyQ.? All of them are popular and all work
well.? As much as anything, it has to do with comfort level and preference for
how things are displayed.

Also, for those interested in an inexpensive ADS-B In solution, there is a lot
of buzz on the EAA web site about building an ADS-B weather and traffic
receiver for $120 using Raspberry Pi.? I have a good friend that is currently
struggling his way through the build, so will probably get to take a close up
look at it soon.? More info on the EAA web site at
<http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/instruments-and-avionics/live-weather-and-traffic-for-less-than-$120>

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM