Joe Horton said,

> "In my airplane as in life I prefer to see where I am going and avoid
most obstacles instead of weaving around like a drunken sailor. I guess
Dan just likes to drag his A$$ around."

I'm doing a prop balance on this Cavalier I'm delivering to its new owner
in Indianapolis in a couple days and was driving it around the ramp this
morning warming the engine up in preperation for the run-ups and again
noted this tail-dragger drives just like a tri-gear.  I can easily see
over the nose without craning my neck.  This Cavalier is a good example
of having it both ways.

It's possible with a KR to extend the fuselage enough that the angle it
sits at is so shallow that taxiing a KR around would be similar or the
same as with this Cavalier.  Mine is almost that way since Steve Bennett
(I think) put a block underneath the tailspring in order to raise the
tail and thus make it easier to see over the nose.  In Ken Cottle's
original pictures of the plane it sat at a steep angle, something like
Richard Shirley's.  I can crane my neck and barely see over the nose so
that's nice, but the penalty for that is you can't get the wing anywhere
near stall when trying to make a full-stall landing.  I've been meaning
for a long time to take that block out but never have gotten around to
it.  It's fine the way it is and I've never had any trouble so far
getting into tight spaces.  Really short strips would be a different
matter though.

Jim Morehead's tri-gear (the only tri-gear KR I've ever flown) was/is a
real piece of cake to stall the wing at touchdown and make extremely
short landings.  Not so with the KR taildraggers though - mine at least.
I can't get very close at all to stalling the wing when touching down.

Jim's wife Rae mentioned at McMinnville that they need to sell the plane
since Jim's knee issues are preventing any further KR flying.  If
somebody would like a head start on flying I'd highly recommend Jim's
airplane.  It's very carefully built and "true."  If Jim and Rae haven't
sold the plane already, anyone wanting a really well-done KR-2 ought to
get in touch with them.  It was an absolute pleasure and privilege to fly
it.  That drag flap and really smooth and sturdy extension mechanism he
built are examples of how to do it right.
kr2jm at sbcglobal.net

***********

One bit of odd information I picked up on the Google Group having to do
with the Cavalier aircraft

https://sites.google.com/site/cavalieraircraft/

is that some are claiming the tri-gear is about 15 MPH faster than the
conventional gear (original) model.    This is a claim I haven't seen
disputed anywhere in the reading I've done on the Cavalier so it's
possibly true even though counterintuitive.  If it is true I'd be
interested to read the theory of why this is so - sort of defies logic
that sticking another drag producing item into the slipstream would make
a plane go faster, but airplanes and engines sometimes have their own
logic.

Mike
KSEE

A Balance Transfer Card With An Outrageously Long Intro Rate And No Balance
Transfer Fees That Can Save You Thousands
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5623ef8d9e9a96f8d0a65st02vuc