Good for you wanting to do the "Pilot & Paws thing."  I hope you continue
with that noble goal whatever you wind up with for an airplane.

As Larry said, your KR will need to be set up for single pilot operation.
 You can devise a "baggage insert" behind your seat that will fit a small
dog crate.  Visualize something that has a floor and side surfaces to
protect your flying cables and wiring.  It also has a rear wall/bulkhead
that will prevent anything sliding back further to the rear - both for
weight (CG) reasons and also to make sure nothing gets back there to get
caught in a pulley.  My KR has been elongated somewhat in order to have
more leg room for the pilot and also (I think) to lengthen the distance
between the center of pressure and the elevators.  This reduces pitch
sensitivity but of course is still a fingertip airplane like all KR's are
by nature.  I've been flying a truck of a plane called a Cavalier lately
and I can sure reminded what a joy it is to have an instantly responsive
airplane as opposed to . . . just about anything.  The Cavalier is a
homebuilt and not at all bad.  It's just that once you get comfortable
with a KR there's not many airplanes out there that will feel right.

Anyway David, you won't be unsafe or unhappy with a KR.  They handle aft
CG situations just fine, although they do get squirrelly with badly aft
CG situations.  Find one that's been built longer than normal.  Mine is
15 feet, 9 inches in length.  I've got a baggage insert that's about
three feet long.  Height I'm not sure, maybe 18 inches.  I know when I'm
travelling I load the h*** out of it back there and the plane doesn't
even notice it.  You could easily carry a dog back there and it wouldn't
affect your CG noticably but because of the lack of height between floor
and top of the fuselage it would have to be either a small dog or a big
dog with really short legs.

Do people really call the Challenger an airplane?  Aren't they really
just overweight ultralights?   No need to answer on that . . . I don't
want to start any arguments.   Come to think of it, ultralights are
airplanes too.  Aren't they?  I'm losing it when it comes to nomenclature
these days.  The lines between different catagories of things that fly is
getting blurry.  Also true with pilots.  People who sit behind a console
and fly drones are called pilots these days.  Who knew?

Mike
KSEE