Joe Horton wrote:

 >> Besides the thoughts of being behind the information curve I have
these fears of the issues that Mark L. is going through now and that is
losing the entire glass panel to some malfunction. <<

Yep, my iEFIS failed to come to life when I turned it on to return home
from a flight to my father's farm a few weeks ago, despite having power
and backup power as well.  Consider being 250 miles from home, and
suddenly you have no engine info, such as RPM, oil pressure, oil temp,
CHTs, EGTs, barometric altitude or airspeed, transponder encoder, or
fuel consumption or level.  I still had the iFLY 720 GPS and Foreflight
on the iPhone (if I needed it), but flying back home with no engine info
was a sobering thought, not to mention issues with several FARs, I'm
sure.  A few days later it was just fine, so now I have an intermittent
problem that's waiting to bite me again.

And yes, I too have designed a new panel, using an iPad, iFLY 720, GRT
EIS ("old reliable"), ECO autopilot, and  3.125" altimeter and airspeed
indicator.  I don't like having all my eggs in one flaky basket...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com