?

Mark / Netters
I have run the CG numbers many times using four different datum reference
points and have determined that I need to move the engine three inches fwd of
the WW location for a standard KR-2S. As Joe Horton noted, my plane is 1'-3"
longer than any of the other planes that responded to his request for
dimensions. My flying CG with me and partial fuel to max gross wt at 1320 goes
from 1.25" aft of the fwd limit to 3.5" aft of the fwd limit, well within the
"preferred 6" CG range. All the calculations came within a 1/16" no matter
where I set the datum.

My next step is to build the cowling. Ron Willet is making a female mold off a
cowling plug that I have as we speak. I will do the same after I make some
slight changes to the plug, to clear the alternator. My question for Mark and
fellow netters is where to purchase carbon fiber cloth other than Aircraft
Spruce as they are pretty pricey. Also need to know which weave is best to use.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Pete Klapp
?
------------

Pete,

I don't think you'll regret moving the engine forward. These planes put on
weight as they age. Everything you lighten up seems to be in front of the CG.
Everything you add to the plane seems to be behind the CG. When I did a new W&B
for my plane last week I was surprised at how much the CG has crept back over
the last 20 years. It's still good, but that's because I started out with a
very forward CG.

A quick google search shows that Aircraft Spruce is pretty competitive on the
price for CF cloth if you're buying small amounts.? You can get much better
prices, but you have to buy in bulk (like100 yds) to get them.? One of the
better deals I saw was buying remnant on Ebay.? Like 5 yds for $125, which
might be about right for your cowl.? Of course you could build the cowl out of
glass.? Then you can shorten your mount 1/2" thanks to the heavier cowl. :o)?
?
-Jeff Scott
?