Good Morning Guys,
I had a great trip from KUKT to KJYM this weekend to visit Brother Roy of the
Szarafinski clan. I left for MI. about 12:30pm and arrived at about 4:15 pm
fighting a pretty good head wind all the way of 20 to 25 mph. flew most of the
way between 6500 and 8500 but climbed to 10500 to cross Lake Erie. The trip
home was much more to my liking yesterday afternoon. With tail winds of about
20 mph I climbed out of KJYM to 11500 over the lake and continued at that
altitude until decent about 85 miles out of home. The flight was 490 miles each
way and I burned 17.5 gals out and about 12 gals back. True airspeed was kept
right at 165 mph and ground speed was roughly 135 out and 190 back. If my math
is close it works out to right around 35 miles to the gallon for the trip. I
fattened the log book by a little over 6 hours.
?? I had a good time with Roy and certainly had my horizons broadened. Roy is
doing some interesting work that shows some great promise for the future. He
also introduced me to one of his local friends that is into drag racing and the
like. It is truly incredible what can be found in someones local shop or in
this case on what looks like just the average little farmette. This guy has
the skunk works of the street rod world hidden in his shop with a real world
mixture of creativity, art and science being built into several old cars. Great
fun and education.
Joe Horton