Wow!  That's a lot of metal plumbing in front of the firewall.  That stuff
loves to absorb and transfer heat.  Putting the pumps in front of the firewall
where they are exposed to heat is inviting vapor lock at the pumps, which can
cause engine stoppage with no recovery until it cools down.  I went through
this scenario helping a builder with a Sonex that seemed to be always on the
edge of vapor lock.  The solution was to fabricate a box around all those metal
components, open on the bottom for the cooling air to exit, then add a NACA
scoop to the side of the lower cowl to supply cooling air to the box.

We put a thermocouple on the gascolator before and after this mod.  Before
adding the cooling box to the fuel components in front of the firewall, the
gascolator was measured at 180?F during flight.  That is warm enough to boil
the fuel and cause a vapor lock.  After adding the cooling box to the fuel
components, the gascolator always measured within 10? of ambient air temp.

I am assuming you were already planning to cool these components, so am
pointing this out as a potential safety issue for others that may want to put
all those components on the front side of the firewall.

I had friend that destroyed his E-AB aircraft when it vapor locked.  When he
was taxiing for take off with the engine hot following a previous flight, the
fuel pressure dropped and the engine was running rough, so he flipped on the
boost pump to restore pressure.  The fuel pressure came back up to normal and
the engine smoothed out, so he figured it was a vapor lock issue and would
clear up once the engine got good airflow in the air.  The problem is that his
boost pump was also mounted in front of the firewall without any heat shielding
or cooling air supplied.  He made it to around 400' altitude before the heat
saturated boost pump started cavitating as it also vapor locked.  The engine
quit forcing a landing on a road.  He hit the power lines over the road first
and had a less than stellar landing causing significant damage to his aircraft.

It's worth noting that Piper put the boost pump and gascolator in front of the
firewall on the PA-38 and the later PA-28 aircraft.  In both cases, those
components are mounted with a shield between the fuel components and the rest
of the engine compartment and a small NACA scoop supplying air to the fuel
components.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM
?