this has me curious. I am about to start building a KR1, have a low time
recently overhauled Jabiru 2200, but ws going to be a "purist" and go VW
(probably still will do that , maybe a turbo VW new in the box?)
u mention a lycoming, a 108hp O-235 weights 240lbs accordng to wikipedia, but a
100hp Continental O-200 only weights 170lbs.
My 85hp jab weights about 140lbs. An 80hp vw, I think i read is 170ish...
It does seem that the VW needs work more often, but can be pretty reliable if
kept up with.

ugheskr2s.yolasite.com/progress.php
<http://hugheskr2s.yolasite.com/progress.php>