"Flywheel Alternators" are more aptly described as Dynamo Charging systems.?
They have fixed magnets that fly past a fixed Stator (coil or coils) to produce
AC current and either a single or 3 phase A/C Output that is then rectified
into DC.? A single phase unit either works or not as there are no moving parts
to wear out.? If a wire breaks in the stator or beetween the stator and the
regulator, it no longer works.? A 3 phase unit can lose a phase, which will
reduce its max current output.? I expect the Great Planes units are likely
single phase.? The regulator is where all the magic happens and where problems
are most likely to occur.? The regulator both rectifies the AC output into DC,
and regulates the DC to something less than 14.3 Volts.?Low voltage output will
almost always be the regulator that's at fault.  No charging can be either the
regulator, wiring, or the dynamo stator wires that have failed.
?
The failures I have seen in them were failed regulators, and burned wiring
between the dynamo and the regulator, and broken wires in the dynamo.? It is
possible that your regulator output may be affected by heat, but to what
degree, I couldn't predict.? Since these systems don't typically charge at
idle, you need to use a good voltmeter (preferably digital) and take a reading
anywhere on the 12V DC buss with the engine turning somewhere around 1500 -
2000 RPM.? I don't have any specific knowledge about the Great Planes units, so
don't know what RPM they cut in, but the ones on the Jabiru engines I've been
working on seem to start charging around 1800 rpm.? Once it's charging with
minimal load, I would expect to see something on the order of a minimum of 13V
to maintain the battery.? If it is less than that, they you are likely looking
at a regulator issue.? The dynamo itself will either work, or it won't.
?
-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM
?