I've got one of those as well.  Put the response public.   I'm sure other
people care too.

Ray_pilot

New Orleans

Ok, here is one of the responses I got off net.

Name has been removed to protect his smartness.

Paul,
Receiving ONLY antennas do not need a RF choke, which is what  those
things really do when installed.   They are used on  transmitting coax to
keep reflected RF energy (standing waves) from feeding  back down the
coax into the transmitter and usually ruining the output
transistor(s).   Sort of like an electronic check  valve.

RST engineering is still in business, and they sell kits of stuff  to
make antennas - which included's  20 ferrite toroids.  Check it  out at

http://www.rst-engr.com/

I don't know what the diameter of  RG-400 is, so if you can tell me I
would appreciate it.

Have a good  4th weekend
xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the response.
The RG-400 diameter is .200"
What you said is my understanding. But on RST front page they have a
picture of a VHF Nav antana. It looks like it has toroids. This is were I'm
confused

Paul -

Right you are - I just looked and sure enough, there seem to  be toroids
in that picture.   Now I'm not sure whether he used the  wrong picture or
the wrong description, or whether he really does use  toroids on
receiving antennas.  I can see no reason to have them . .  .  but read on.

That pictured antenna is a dipole, and I have used  dipoles with no balun
in ham radio - and believe me, they receive fine for  VOI

CE reception.   Whether or not a NAV signal is that much  different I do
not know, or whether there is something about it that   would make a
difference.   I don't think so, but could sure be  wrong.   One thing  I
have noticed about NAV antennas (OMNI?)  on planes is that they are vee
shaped, usually pointing the open end of the  vee toward the front of the
plane, but sometimes toward the  rear.   Maybe that makes a difference as
well so there are not  blank spots in receiving  NAV  signals.

I guess I should not  really have commented without absolutely being
positive about the toroids on  NAV antennas, but for what it's worth, it
is true that for other uses  RECEIVING antennas do not need a balun or RF
choke to function  well.

Could you experiment on the ground with a temporary setup to prove  the
proper reception, or would it have to be done in the air to be able to
receive a signal where you are ?   I don't have a nav receiver and
indicator here to test with, or I would.  As I learned many, many years
ago with ham radio, experimenting in that field is as much fun and pain
as doing it with airplanes. :-)

If you find out what the answer to  the toroid question is, please let me
know sometime.  I can always  learn something new.

Thanks for the coax diameter info.  That helps  me.

xxxxxxxxx