There is a certain amount of truth in what Lee says.  I always enjoy the KR
Gatherings, and try to make as many as I can.  I was really disappointed that I
wasn't able to attend this year, but was even more disappointed that so many
others also had to cancel for various reasons.

My reasons for attending are two fold.  I really want to try to help the other
builders along as I have a number of innovative ideas incorporated into my
plane you can draw ideas from, and have used it as a test flying platform for
nearly 20 years now.  But also, I really enjoy getting to see the KR Family
again.  Like all families, we have our disagreements and occasionally snipe at
one another.  But there is little doubt I have many life long friends from the
KRNet and the Gatherings, many of which I have known for over 20 years now.

For those builders and future builders that made it this year, I apologize for
not being there and am sorry the number of flying KRs was so low, but there
were some really good planes there with some unique ideas built by some really
talented builders.  Hopefully, you got all the motivation you need for the next
year from them.

Lees Summit is on my calendar for next year.  I'll be the among the first to
commit, "I'll be there in my KR."

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM

?
?

Subject:?KR> 2016 gathering
Let us talk about the KR gathering and what it means to us. I have been to 6 KR
gatherings all in Mount Vernon Illinois. I was going to fly to the KR gathering
this year but an opportunity arose for me to sell an engine, VW, to a new
builder that was going to be at the gathering. I chose to drive and save this
person some money on shipping the engine. The KR gathering means a lot to me,
and to many of the people who attend. I drove 22 hours each way, a total of
3200 miles. I had a lot of time to think during that drive. I work building
composite airplanes every day. The motivation I got seeing the planes that were
at the gathering and the motivated builders putting them together was worth the
trip. People like Kevin from WA, Tucker from CO and Matt from PA. It brings me
back to my first gathering when I was redoing my KR. That is where I met Mark
Langford, Mark Jones, Larry Flesner, Troy Petteway, Jeff Scott, and so many
others. By nature I'm a little bit of a shy guy but when I get around good
people my personality expands. Seeing people like Eric Pitts, Rob Schmidt,
Terry Chizek, Mark Jones, Larry Flesner, Joe Horton, Mike Turner, Dave Mullins,
Pete Klapp, Ray Fuenzalida, Mark Langford, it made the trip worthwhile. Going
to the gathering is like an annual revival, when you buy the plans or a project
it like you were been baptized. Reading the KR net and going to the gathering
is like going to church. You get re-energized. You can say Mark Langford is
like our prophet . "I know that statement is blasphemy and I can burn in hell.
But it's kind of true." My trip to the gathering was 22 hours and 1580 miles
there and 22 hours and 1563 miles back, same route. Same amount of gas stops,
why the difference in mileage? Lack of nitrogen in the tires. See you next year
in Lees Summit.

Lee Van Dyke