Hey Guys,
?? This story is under the heading of ya never know.... I headed over to the
airport Sunday morning to go take some air shots of my job site. Everything
seemed so normal and nonchalant. Taxied to the run up and went through the
procedure. Everything was fine in all facets of the instruments. Last thing is
to turn the transponder from stand by to mode C. The microair has a low voltage
indicator that only shows voltage when it is low. I noticed it was showing
something like 8.8v. I revved the throttle a little to see if it climbed out of
the red. It didn't. So I went to the screen on the EIS and it was showing
something just north of 9v. A little bit baffling since I just started up and
did a run up with no indication of low power. I revved here a few more times
and it did not budge up or down. The voltage had always reacted instantly with
the RPM changes.
?? So it was a no go and I taxied back to the hanger. By the time I had gotten
just about back instruments started going off line from low voltage and it even
ran a bit rough. Voltage was showing about 7.6v at that point.
?? I put her away and started brain storming a bit. No breakers popped, no
smoke, no broken belt, no apparent connections problems. I decided to walk away
and take some time to think it through. Just before I left I turned the master
back on just to see if anything happened. The battery voltage showed 12.3 and
all the instruments and lights were working. Now I'm confused more and starting
to hate airplanes.
?? I went back last evening and took all the covers off the front end so no to
miss a connection anywhere. I could not find the smoking gun. I turned
everything on and had the 12.3v and left it all on for almost 10 min. and it
never dropped below 12.0v. I decided to go out and start and see what happened
running. It started up right away and was charging with everything close to
normal but not quit. It usually would get to 14.1v at a high idle of about 1400
RPM. Now it seemed to struggle to get to 13.6 at 220o RPM which is where I
can't keep her from rolling any more. I had a spare brand new JD voltage
regulator on the shelf so I decided to swap it out just as a check. and it only
would take a few minutes to do.
?? She started right up again and showed some improvement. although I was not
quit happy just yet. It was getting 13.9 and would touch on 14v at the 2000
RPM. I went over things again just to make sure I had not missed anything. It
was getting cold and dark so I put her away for today.
?? I decided to put her back together this morning and do a test flight late in
the day. Which I did do this evening. I did the taxi a bit and went and did the
run up. For what ever reason everything was exactly as it should be tonight. At
1400 RPM it was just over 14v and by the time I approached 2000 RPM it was
bouncing around 14.2 and 14.3v.
I took the flight for just under and hour and there was no sign of anything
ever being amiss. In fact she was running great in the cooler temps.
?? So in hind sight the only thing that I can figure is the voltage regulator
was going bad. IT may have been in a stage of failure that said maybe I'll work
or maybe I won't but I warned ya while You were still on the ground.
Fortunately I listened for a change. The regulator was used for about 12 years
and sitting for a year before that. It has a solid 900 hours on it and probably
a fair amount more with ground run time. I don't know what the life expectancy
is for them and I really don't know if there is a way to bench test. But for
now it seems to have been the problem or the start of a problem.
?? The one exciting thing for the evening was that she seemed to be running so
well and the wind was non-existant, so I set the autopilot for straight and
level a 3000' and slowly wound her up. At 3270 rpm i was able to get the
fastest flat out speed that N357CJ has ever had. She was able to maintain 185
to 186 mph true for over 5 minutes. I think she was just happy to see me.
All this is just food for though guys, hope it helps someone.
Joe Horton
?