From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Sid Wood via
KRnet
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:17 PM
To: krnet@list.krnet.org
Cc: Sid Wood
Subject: Re: KR> Melting lead

Lead can be melted with direct application of a propane torch.  That does
tend to oxidize the lead, so you do get more slag.  Solder is a mixture of
lead and tin.  These will oxidize at different rates under the torch flame.
That could change the mixture ratio of the solder.  Maybe not a big deal,
but could be.  If you can get at the underside of the pot, suggest you apply
the torch there.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Speaking of melting lead, I have been trying to figure out for the past few
days how to deal with my solder pot that just crapped out that I use for
mass soldering of circuit boards.  It is a big 2,000 Watt electric pot that
is regulated at 250 degrees C.  I have a new solder pot on the way, but am
trying to figure out the best way to melt out the 75 pounds of solder in the
old pot and put it in the new one.  At today's prices for bar solder it is
$1,500 worth of solder.  It takes about an hour to melt when the pot is
working so I am not sure if I can effectively just remove the pot from the
whole machine and heat on the stove or heat it with a torch.  Withe any luck
the heating element on the new pot is the same as the old one and I can just
transfer it to the old pot.  Can't buy just the heating element.

Brian Kraut
904-536-1780
br...@eamanuacturing.com

---