From: "Mark Langford" <langf...@hiwaay.net>
To: "KR builders and pilots" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 6:31 AM
Subject: Re: KR>RE:Canopy

ace nunye wrote:

>>I have a D/F canopy and what was advertised as a KR-2S canopy and looks to
me like there is gonna be ALOT of cutting to make the D?F fit, so much that
i am seriously thinking about either not using the canopy frame or not using
the D/F glass. <<

Well, I'm sure Roy had to do exactly what anybody else does that puts a
Dragonfly on his plane, he had to cut a few inches off the back, and
probably under the front, to make it fit.Then a "splash" was made of HIS
canopy (after it was cut down) and then the KR2S canopies were made from
that.  The Dragonfly canopy is so flexible that it will conform quite easily
to a variety of shapes, an advantage to it's reduced thickness, in my book.
A Pulsar canopy might be another good option, but I'm sure you'd have to cut
on it too.

Justin, one secret to the linkage arrangement of Roy's canopy is that there
is a torque tube behind the panel that connects the two forward links
together, and holds them rigidly in sync with each other.  If you just
support the canopy on four independent links, you'll have an uncontrollable
floppy mess on your hands.  If I had it to do over again, I'd do a gull
wing.  Just think about sealing that high-pressure canopy joint at the front
against 200 mph wind.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
mailto:langf...@hiwaay.net
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford