Before anyone warms up the BBQ, this is not meant to be a slam against
lawyers.  We have become a nation which refuses to take responsibility for
the simplest things in life like driving around with a Styrofoam cup of hot
coffee between the legs to putting a loaded gun to the head and pulling the
trigger then saying "it wasn't fault!  It was McDonalds fault".  Or the
actor for a short lived TV series who jokingly put a .44 Mag revolver to his
head  loaded with blanks and pulled the trigger before anyone could stop him
  It never occurred to that particular "Darwin Award Recipient" there's
something like 20,000 pounds pressure at the muzzle which resulted in
turning his brain into Jell-o.  It wasn't his fault,  "it was Smith & Wesson
s fault!"  If McD's had only told me it was a stupid thing to drive with a
hot cup of coffee between ones legs or S&W had clearly put a warning on the
revolver along the lines of, "WARNING!  SHOOTING BLANKS WITH THE MUZZLE
POINTED AT YOUR HEAD COULD KILL YOU!" perhaps he would not have done it.
But I don't think so!  When buglers can sue a homeowner for "injuries
sustained in a burglary", it is because (a) trial lawyers have found a new
cash cow and (b) jurors are too stupid to realize the problem lies with the
person who did the act rather than the business/individual/whatever the suit
was brought against.  For some vultures out there, the loss of a "loved" one
is well offset by the money gained through litigation and sometimes
insurance.  Here's a couple of examples:

A abdominal surgeon friend of mine was forced out of private practice by the
annual doubling of his malpractice insurance.  Why did it go up every year
by a factor of two?  He had ONE frivolous law suit.  He went to work for
Ford-Philco as the company doctor.

In college I worked as a reserve police officer.  My partner was a good cop
but a man who had to manage his temper.  We were dispatched to a fatal
accident where a 14 year old boy was one of the victims.  At the hospital,
Larry, my partner, and I went to the "parents", a word used in its loosest
connotation possible, to get some needed information for our report.  The
father" said, "I told you we should have gotten the $10,000 policy!" to wit
the "mother" replied, "how did I know the little bastard would die?!"  Larry
 who stood 6' 3", weighed about 225 pounds and was all of 10% body fat,
picked the so-called father up by the collar and had it not been for my
intervention, he would have pasted his stamp right there on the spot.

As a nation, generally speaking, people have become lazy and feel someone
else owes them in one way or another.  If you're parting out or selling
outright an airplane, you'll run the risk of someone or their survivors down
the road wanting to sue you because an idiot augured in trying to see if he
or she could really recover from an inverted flat spin.  When I was a cop,
there was only one law I really wanted to see put on the books and that was
Stupid in Public".  As long as people are going to be "stupid in public"
there will be lawyers on the side to take their money and jurors who loose
sight of the fact we are all responsible for our own actions.  As an aside,
think about it: These people vote!  Again, this is not an indictment of all
lawyers as lawyers are needed.  It is an indictment against greed and
avarice.