I didn't say that Corvair engines are unreliable.  I have no idea how many
have failed while being used in aircraft.  However, RFI has installed over 400
Subaru EJ-22 engines in auto gyros over the past several years.  The single
failure that has occurred happened on an engine that had experienced a prop
strike.  I think that is a pretty good record.

The issue of failure modes can be addressed by pointing out the fact that the
EFI computer has  a memory function that enables the engine to continue
running by utilizing the last sensor setting before the failure occurred.  In
addition to that, by mounting a code light on the instrument panel, the
computer
immediately notifies the pilot what sensor or component has failed.  In other
words, it troubleshoots itself.  How many certified aircraft engines, (or VW or
Corvair engines), can do that?

In my opinion, the increase in weight is more than offset by the increase in
power.  By beefing up the engine mount and using Deihl gear and longer wings,
I think a heavier KR with a more modern engine is an improvement.

RV