HI everyone,
I just finished putting the third coat of smooth -prime on the bottom of my KR2
. This marks the completion of the retrofit to the fixed gear (Fuselage mount,
spring gear from great plains,).
This stuff is great to work with and sands very well, to bad it is so expensive.
I made my mounting brackets from 6x8x1/2" , 6061 extruded alum. angle (X3) and
doublers on the forward part of the spar to clear the cross member on the front
of the spar. I cut three 4x6" holes in the floor , and used the original holes
on the spar for mounting the angle brackets.
With her on her back I did the alignment of the spring gear, and used the
original holes for mounting to the brackets. I then cut a foam wedge and
glassed it in to the bottom of the fuselage to flair in the leading edge of the
gear.
Filling the holes from the original gear was a lot of sanding but straight
forward, and now you could never tell it had retracts.
I plan on top coating the belly before I put her back on her gear,as to not
have to do it on my back, but to also have it done, and allow me to concentrate
on the top.
Tim Bellville
N7038V