Try the accelerator pump, it's probably not working at all.

Gav
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Kraut" <eng...@earthlink.net>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:19 AM
Subject: KR>VW/Zenith carb

> I have been doing a lot of engine adjustments and running on the ground
this weekend.  I have a 2180 VW with a single mag and a Zenith carb.  I
believe that I have the idle and running mixture set correctly, but I am
having a problem when I advance the throttle fast.  If I push in the
throttle slowly (three to four seconds from idle to full speed) everything
is fine.  If I go any faster than that it will start to cough and it will
die if I do it fast enough.

> I had never seen this problem before on this or any other aircraft engine.
This may just be because I always advance the throttle smoothly and slowly
and this was the first time I have tried ramming it in.  This may be normal
for a plane without an accelerator pump.  I tried adjusting the idle mixture
richer and leaner, but it doesn't really seem to affect the way it reacts to
a fast throttle movement.