From: Brian Kraut <eng...@earthlink.net>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 8:32 PM
Subject: KR>First flight report...Finally!!

> I am happy to report that N93PC took its first leap into the air yesterday
afternoon since I bought it and rebuilt it.  I had everything planned for
the past few days and I snuck to the airport during a long lunch so my wife
wouldn't be worried to death.  I gave a co worker the phone number to the
tower and asked him to call and see what happened to me if I wasn't back in
a few hours.

> The worst part of the flight was the drive to the airport.  I had more
butterflies in my stomach than when I got married or when my son was born.
My legs and arms were numb and tingly and I was cold and shivering even
though it was about 85 degrees.  After I landed I noticed that my entire
shirt was drenched with sweat.

> The flight itself was pretty uneventfull.  I spent more time on the ground
than I wanted because the airport was pretty busy.  I had to wait for three
other planes in front of me when I got to the runup area and I had to wait
for three to land after I got to the hold short line.  The tower wanted to
get everyone else out of the pattern so I would have two runways to myself
just in case.

> Takeoff was pretty simple.  I had been doing high speed taxi runs for a
week.  This was the first one at full power so the tail came up pretty quick
and the plane was very easy to control.  When it wanted to fly I just pulled
back a little and off I went.  I had flown some with Mark Strothers and Jim
Faughn so I knew exactly what to expect in the air.  The plane was well
behaved and easy to fly.  I climbed at about 85 knots and started a left
turn at 600'.  I pretty much just kept going around with left turns up to
2,500' and stayed over the airport.  I would have gone up to 5,000, but the
ceilings were at about 3,000.

> The oil temperature did get close to redline about 2,000', but the CHT
stayed about 40 degrees under red line.  I suspect that this was from the
long ground run followed by the climb.  The temps were a lot better after I
leveled off and reduced power.  If anyone cares to comment on weather or not
it is normal to get near redline after a 2,000' climb after running 20
minutes on the ground on an 85 degree day it would be appreciated.

> Once I got to altitude I pulled back to about 2,500 RPM and just kept
going in rectangles.  I found that the KR really likes to turn left with
just me in it.  I planned on normally keeping my wing tanks empty unless I
was on a long cross country, but now I think I might just keep the right
tank full when I fly alone.  I made sure that the engine was still happy at
idle and I did a few approaches to stalls just until it started to get
mushy.  I was pretty surprised at how much the KR would slow down and still
keep flying.  My airspeed indicator got down around 45 knots, but I don't
know how accurate it is yet and I didn't look at the GPS.

> After about 40 minutes I got cleared to get back in the pattern when I was
at 2,200 feet over the departure end of the runway.  I throttled back to
about 1,500 and went out a bit before I came back on downwind.  I had to do
a few circles to loose some altitude on the long downwind because the KR
glides so good.  I did try slipping some and the KR seemed to slip pretty
good.  I set up a long final that was high enough that I could glide in if I
had to.

> The landing was pretty easy.  I had a lot of grass before the runway so I
got low after crossing the airport fence and  I had a landing on the airport
secured and I kept in a little power so I could touch down right at the
threshold.  I started my flare a little late, but I only did one 6" bounce.
After I was on the ground I raised the tail again until it slowed and I was
home free.  I have read alot about KRs floating forever in ground effect,
but I didn't get much float at all.  It landed pretty much like a Cherokee,
probably because I was able to get a slow stabilized approach long before
the end of the runway.

> My overall impression is that the KR is a joy to fly and I can't wait till
I fly it again.  I still can't get the KR grin off my face.