Netters,
I agree with Dan.  I think all are alittle paranoid here, unjustifiably.  If
your control surface is balanced you should not have any problem with an
aerodynamic phenomenon, known as flutter caused by the turbulent air over an
unbalanced control surface at higher airspeeds. The surface oscillates rapidly
back and forth and quickly destroys it, metal or composite.  What Dan was
referring to by having a closed loop system, helps continually stabilize the
rudder so as to improve rudder performance in all flight regimes.  I too have
never heard of any aircraft having rudder related accidents, solely by its
connection to the pedals.  ALL Cessna highwings, and Piper singles I have flown
have cables attached directly to the pedals, and have toe brakes.  These
aircraft are used for training and acquire literally hundreds more hours of use
each year than privately owned aircraft (i.e.. a 100 hr inspection every 2-4
weeks!).  Proper care and maintenance are key here to avoiding problems.
Re-design although probably good, is overkill, alot of potential extra weight,
for truly what gain?! Put your time and energy into improving other things. My
opinion...

Colin & Bev Rainey KR2(td)
crain...@cfl.rr.com
Sanford, Florida