From: "Wood, Sidney M." <smw...@titan.com>
To: "KR builders and pilots" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 4:11 PM
Subject: RE: KR>And buy vinyl-ester only when you are ready to use it. It
hasa relative short shelf life.

> Vinyl-ester in the promated state as you would buy it from Wicks or A/C
Spruce has an advertised shelf life of three months.  I have stretched that
to six months by keeping it in a refrigerator; your results may vary.
Vinyl-ester resin puts out lots of styrene fumes when you add the catalyst -
good way to turn your workshop/garage/house into a gas chamber.  MEKP is the
catalyst commonly used.  This stuff looks like clear water, but will work
like concentrated sulfuric acid if you get it in your eyes.  The literature
says "blindness in 4 seconds".  (Who that was tested on is not stated.)
> A fresh air breathing system is definitely recommended, along with eye and
skin protection.
> On the plus side: it's about half the price of epoxy, works the same, has
about the same cured strength, but has been formulated to be gasoline proof
for auto gas, 100 LL, gasohol, etc.
> Sid Wood, KR-2 N6242

Research

----