From: Steven Eberhart <newt...@newtech.com>
Sent: Nov 14, 2003 1:00 AM
To: KRnet <kr...@mylist.net>
Subject: Re: KR>Filling pinholes

Hi Leigh,

Two things come to mind.  First, U.S. Chemical & Plastics "Icing" is a
polyester product.  I don't like to mix polyester products with epoxy
products on a project.  Other than preferring not to do it one isn't
recommended for use over the other.  I can never remember which way it
goes - polyester over epoxy or epoxy over polyester.  Doesn't matter to
me too much as I never mix the two.  I have found that most of the
polyester products will shrink somewhat over time and you will be seeing
the weave of the cloth showing through.  I only used epoxy finishing
products on the wind tunnel wings for the new KR airfoils and the finish
today is still just as good as the day they went in the wind tunnel.

Second, Poly Fiber has changed the directions they print on the Smooth
Prime can.  Originally they recommended thinning the Smooth Prime and
then rolling six coats on the fiberglass surface and waiting to sand
until the last coat was dry.  The last gallon of Smooth Prime I bought,
for use on all of the fiberglass parts of a Van's RV-8 I am finishing up
the fiberglass work on and painting, recommends rolling on the six coats
full strength and only thinning if you are going to spray it.

Thinning the Smooth Prime and rolling on the six coats has always taken
care of the pin holes on all of the projects I have used it on.  Rolling
on full strength seems to give a rougher finish and uses more material
than necessary IMHO.  I sand just about all of the Smooth Prime off and
only rely on it for filling the pin holes.  I use an epoxy primer over
the Smooth Prime.

I am rapidly becoming an advocate of PPG's Concept acrylic urethane
finishing system.  All of the fiberglass parts are first filled with
Poly Fiber Super Fill till you have a good smooth finish.  Then six
coats of thinned Smooth Prime are rolled on.  THis is sanded and PPG
DPLF epoxy primer is sprayed on.  I generally let this cure and wet sand
it before spraying on the PPG Concept for the final finish.  THis works
very well for me.  On the RV-8 I am just finishing up the paint job on
took five quarts of DPLF primer and six quarts of 2001 Corvette yellow.
  A KR should use a lot less.

Steve Eberhart