>One thing to remember is that an amp is an amp regardless of the overall
>circuit voltage. If a switch is going to get hot at 1 amp in a 125V AC
>circuit it will also get hot at 1 amp in a 12V DC circuit.

It would appear that several posters missed the point on why a
switch will handle less DCV than ACV.

When a switch contact closes the current will start flowing before
the contact closes.  It will arc across the gap when conditions
are right.  The same happens when the contact opens.  The
current continues to flow in the form of an arc as the contacts
open until it can no longer jump the gap.  The DCV will sustain
the arc longer than ACV and thus "burn", "pit" and otherwise
destroy the contact much faster.  Some better quality switches
will use gold plated contacts and such things as the contacts
making a swipping action on open and close to help clean the
contacts. I randomly opened switch bodies to check the contacts
of a failed switch in my 33 years with Xerox and it is amazing what
you will see and the switch only failing intermittently.

One suggestion for those high current circuits where you are
concerned with switch failure is to use a high amp rated relay
to carry the circuit current and the switch to energize the
relay where it only carries a very low coil current.  You can get
a good quality Bosch 30 amp (small body), multi-contact relay
for under $5 with a little searching.  I wouldn't trust the "made
in Mexico" relays from Auto Zone or similar suppliers. This is
not a dig at our neighbors south of the border but applies to
poor quality components regardless of where they are made.

Many will say that you double the number of components that
could fail but I'm convinced you will be reducing the odds that
they will do so. Just my non scientific gut feel.

I've not seen the book several poster have mentioned but I've
heard from other sources that it is very good.  I should have
put it on my Christmas list.

Larry Flesner
Carterville, Illinois