KRNetters
OK, hear me out on this one for one second:
First remembering that the KR is one of the easiest
aircraft to modify, and there has never been a KR
crashed due to a structural failure.

The KR has a double 5/8ths spruce Upper Longerons, a
single 5/8 ths lower longeron.  3/32nd plywood outer
skin, and 1/4 inch plywood firewall support structure.
What if:
1.) Added an additional 5/8 piece to the upper
Longerons

2.) Double the lower longerons aft to behind the rear
    spar and add 2 ea 5/8th intercostals from the
    firewall to the front spar.

3.) Instead of a 3/32 plywood floor between the
    firewall (under the rudder pedal support) and the
     front spar, use 1/4 inch 45 degree bias plywood.

4.) Add a 3/32 plywood inner skin from the firewall to
    the instrument panel, and 1/4 inch lower firewall
    gusset (like the existing upper gussett in the 2S
     plans) and a 1/4 inch plywood doubler on the
    inner forward and rear faces of the front spar.

5.) Add 18 inches to each wing to increase the wing
   span by 3 ft (from 23 to 26) (additional wing area
   to handle the increased engine weight)

6.) Increase the rudder / vertical stab area by 25%

7.) Increase the landing gear strut thickness by 20%

By doing these 7 things, the KR-2S should be able to
handle the additional loads imposed by a heavier,
more powerful engine.
 Essentially, I've created a torque box on the belly,
and fuselage sides.  This should come close to
doubling the load carrying ability of the fwd
structure.
  The added structural weight would be less than 30
pounds.  For a total increase in gross weight of 67
pounds (over a corvair or Subaru).
  I think a weight gain of 67 pounds, with the benefit
of 30 more useable horsepower, and a gob more torque
is reasonable.  Another benefit is it's a aircraft
engine.

=====
Scott Cable
KR-2S # 735