This combination simply will not work. I installed a Holley pressure regulator
and hooked it up to the mechanical fuel pump. I also installed a very precise
pressure gauge to it. The pressure will maintain a setting when the engine is
set at a constant throttle such as 1000 rpm. The engine would run fine at 2
psi. However, when throttle was applied, the fuel pressure would go up to 6 psi
flooding out the carb. Now, I am in the fluid control business and these
regulators are worthless for our application. What is needed is a modulating
pressure regulator. A modulating pressure regulator will keep the pressure
constant at any throttle setting. The only thing is, a modulating pressure
regulator is big, heavy and not practical for aircraft. So, I removed the
Holley pressure regulator and pressure gauge and disconnected the hoses from
the mechanical fuel pump. I then placed a tank on top of my front deck and
gravity fed the carb just because I wanted to run the engine. Without thinking
about fuel being in the mechanical pump, I hit the switch, engine started,
mechanical fuel pump emptied itself all over the engine....FIRE....I almost had
a heart attack. Flames were dancing everywhere around the back of the engine. I
shut it down, ran to get a fire extinguisher which was about 15 feet away,
grabbed it, turned back to the plane and the fire was out. No my pants were not
wet...but close. After a close inspection of the engine, I saw no damage, even
to the wires, so I started the engine up, let it run and thanked God I still
had my plane. I have two choices. One is to install a small header fed from my
wing tanks or sell the Aerocarb and get another carb.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI  USA
E-mail me at flyk...@wi.rr.com
Visit my KR-2S CorvAIRCRAFT web site at