>I am considering extending the cowling to allow the engine to be moved
forward 2-3 inches and was wondering what the simplest way would be to
extend the glass work to accommodate this with the least amount of effort?
>Colin & Bev Rainey

I extended my 0-200 cowl, that I purchased from Dan Diehl, two inches
at the rear and approx two inches at the front to accomodate a five
inch prop extention.  My concern was mounting the cowl on this rear
two inch extention.  I was afraid the extention would be weak and a
crack would soon appear at the seam.

The route I took, and I don't know if it is the simplest or easiest, was
to use aluminum strips.  The were maybe 1/16" or so, I don't recall.
I cut strips that were approx 1 1/2" X 6" and flox/glassed them to the
original cowl at each attach point with the alum extending beyond
the cowl equal to the extention I wanted.  I actually mounted my
cowl using these strips before filling in the extention with foam and
glass.  I later glassed some 1/4" foam strips on one side that were
slightly larger than the void I had.  After they cured I cut back the
foam on the forward edge only so it would overlap the cowl and
removed the foam in the area of the alum strips so it would fit flush.
I glassed these in place with another layer of glass that tied the
fill foam to the original cowl.  When cured I sanded the inside of
the foam flush and finished with a layer of glass.  The front was
extended by gluing foam to the cowl and shaping to the spinner.
This resulted in giving me a nice looking shark nose.  I also
closed down the cowl inlet holes about one inch on each side
in the process.

The result of these efforts is that my cowl attach points are tied
to the original cowl with metal with the fill adding strength.  With
my cowl firmly attached I could actually bounce the KR up and
down using the air inlet holes until the wheels nearly come off
the ground and there is zero movement in the cowl.  I had decided
that if I could rip it off I didn't want to be flying behind it. That of
course was when I had the 0-200 removed. If you go that route
make sure you put enough 1/8" holes in the alum plates for the
flox to flow through and lay on the glass before the flox sets up.
That will make for a really strong bond.

If this doesn't make sense I might have a picture or two I could
e-mail you direct.  I'd have to check my photo album.

Larry Flesner
Carterville, Illinois
2004 Gathering host