I agree with Dana that the rotary is a good choice, just heavy for our
application.  Ron, www.atkinsrotary.com  should be a good link to being able to
actually acquire a single rotor setup that would be compatible to the KR.  I
was just little let down about the weight vs. hp output for this single rotor.
I also don't like the idea of the installers who want to rotate the engine
plugs up, to make the install easier, because this starts complicating things
by requiring more equipment like a dry sump oiling system, because engine oil
flow is now altered and must be pumped everywhere like an inverted engine.
This just adds more weight and more things to fail.  One thing to consider
concerning the vibrations that Dana mentioned is the use of a Fluidamper brand
harmonic balancer designed for the engine application, and the flywheel from a
manual or straight shift version of that engine, to give more mass to absorb
these vibrations.  The manual flywheel would also have the effect of increasing
rotational mass, which would then lead to more torque applied, while absorbing
those vibrations.  Robert Finch has a great book out on the subject and goes
through every aspect of using auto engines for aircraft, as well as sources for
additional information, parts, install kits etc...

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com