I just went the other day in preparation of my first flight and found out that
encoders are preset at the factory to a basic setting. It requires an avionics
shop to set it to the panel altimeter, and then you need to make sure that your
altimeter is properly calibrated to the airport altimeter setting ( actually
this needs to be checked first).  Otherwise the chances of an out of the box
encoder being right with the panel altimeter is very slim, and if it is used,
then it is almost assuredly off.  Additionally this calibration of the panel
altimeter being the same as the transponder encoded altitude must be
re-certified every 2 years & noted in the maintenance log for the airplane,
even if it is experimental. I will use CE Avionics at SFB if anyone wants to
call them and verify their application.  Happy flying......getting closer....
Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com