I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with the theories presented that
are saying if you get it up go fly, meaning the tail.  Honestly gentlemen, and
I do not mean this in a hurtful way, but if you are that precarious on the main
wheels during transition, then you need ALOT more practice with that aircraft
because you don't have sufficient skill to fly it. I fail to understand why so
many inexperienced pilots with the KR are not paying close attention to someone
who has over 1000 hours and is flying his KR now successfully, who did just
that. Just taxiing around for 1/2 an hour is just long enough to give one a
false sense of security in the ease of ground handling.  There is NO difference
between high speed taxiing down the runway, and wheel landing in a cross wind.
Both require proficiency of the aircraft.  It is much better to get it in a
controlled way at slower speeds closer to stopping, and have a minor ground
loop, than to have the same lack of proficiency, and attempt a cross wind
landing, or have a normal landing get away form you and roll the plane over,
possibly getting injured/maybe destroying your plane.  Larry Flesner approached
every aspect of his test program so far with very deliberate purpose and
caution of a seasoned pilot.  Although I have more hours than Larry, I find
myself learning a great deal from his experience, and his approach to testing
his KR. I too intend on doing significant ground handling testing, to the point
of becoming almost bored with the way the KR handles on the ground so that
there are no surprises during transition whatever the winds are.  It is tragic
that 20% of our flying is takeoffs and landings, yet we have nearly 90% of our
accidents and incidents during this phase of flight.  As a CFI a make at least
half of the training time spent with a student devoted to takeoffs and
landings, no matter what the rating they are attempting to acquire.  What about
finding out if your wheel alignment was correct, just as one example. It would
be much better to find out it is off, by gently lifting the tail, finding the
plane trying to consistently turn to one side and then, begin investigating the
cause.  If one were to go ahead with the takeoff and attribute this to P-factor
and torque, he might have a very swift and catastrophic end to his first
flight.  I intend to devote a total of 10 hours of time to ground handling
proficiency as part of my flight testing program.  If you are not proficient in
wheel landing, or tail up taxiing, then this is where you need to devote some
time becoming proficient, not flying straight level, and calling yourself a KR
driver.  From a safety standpoint there should never be any phase of any flight
that relies on luck, or is in question.  If that's the case it is time to land
and get help.  And thank you Larry for the great example.

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com