Netters,
One netter posted something from a book where a statement was made when
landing, "precise speed control, and timing the flare".  I agree whole
heartedly about the precise speed control.  Changes in approach speed will
always mess with your landing, regardless of the aircraft.  Getting low and
slow is dangerous, and coming in hot guarantees floating.  The second part I
disagree with, timing of the flare.  I personally do not believe, nor do I
teach that there is some magical point of the flare.  I firmly believe in the
K.I.S.S. principle, and apply it in everything that I can.  To land an aircraft
consistently one has to realize that first: there are 2 parts to the actual
landing, the roundout, and the flare.  An analogy of a proper roundout would be
riding in a glider go-cart down hill, which is approach on final, and then
reaching the bottom of the hill where the road then flattens out, the roundout.
 This is the point where you the pilot have flown the plane into ground effect.
 Because of what happens in ground effect, the reduction of induced drag, we
get a performance increase, and so all aircraft tend to float some distance.
How much depends on alot of factors, approach speed, weight etc...  It is at
this point most landings are botched due to the pilot wanting to rush into the
flare, or silently try to count in order to "time" the flare.  This is where
KISS comes in.  There is no big secret to when to flare.  Once the roundout is
complete and you are straight and level in ground effect (angle of attack
appropriate for the speed), you then simply look at the far end of the runway,
PAUSE all inputs except what is necessary to maintain your present attitude and
position over the runway, and watch for the descent to return.  In a Tri-gear
aircraft when the descent returns begin gently trying to hold the airplane off
the runway with only enough back pressure to make the mains touchdown first,
then continue back pressure until the nose settles gently by itself.  This last
part is necessary to prevent the nose wheel from slamming down.  In a
Taildragger when the descent returns, you allow the aircraft to settle to the
runway, and just as it touches you apply slight forward stick pressure to make
the mains stick, or as my instructor called it, roll the plane onto the runway
like rolling on paint.  Wheel landing happen at speeds close to flying speeds
so the aircraft will tend to try to bounce back up into ground effect and fly
so this slight pressure at the point of touchdown rolls the mains on with
sufficient pressure to hold the aircraft onto the runway.
        This should make recognizing the "flare point" much easier for all,
especially the low time pilot who is lead to believe that proficiency here is
some mystery revealed only with experience.  It is a cake walk to identify and
only requires one to observe the far end of the runway, and be PATIENT.
Rushing the landing at any point only causes problems.   Taxiing is also an
area where pilots are misinformed.  They are falsely lead to believe that
tri-gear do not need any control inputs during taxi, but taildraggers do.  ALL
aircraft need proper wind correction inputs when taxiing.  The Airplane Flying
Handbook has a great illustration showing the correct input for each wind
condition.  Typically one can remember head/crosswinds, elevator neutral,
ailerons into wind.  Any form of tailwind, dive and away, or opposite aileron,
and down elevator.   Low wings are typically more stable on the ground than
high wings because it is harder for the wind to get under the wing, but both
are subject to the wind striking the fuselage and tail.  Since the KR
conventional is standard, it will react like any taildragger.  The tri-gear
being free castoring will tend to act similar to the Grumman aircraft, which
has a similar setup and will also tend to "weathervane" into the wind.  Correct
inputs which are changed as you taxi around the airport, and your orientation
into the wind changes are essential for safe taxi.  Speed is governed by
conditions, whatever is appropriate for positive aircraft control.  This is
what the phrase means flying the aircraft on the ground back to the ramp.  Both
configurations have their own particulars and pilots need to be proficient in
ground operations in both setups, whichever setup your aircraft has.  Do not
have a false sense of security that you have dodged a bullet by having
tri-gear.  It also needs developed skill, just different from the conventional.
        We all spend some time at one point or another just sitting in our
planes and making airplane noises and dreaming.  We tend to refer to this in
jest.  Once you get to the airport, perform this same sitting and dreaming,
only make it official (so you can talk about it at your next party) and call it
visualizing, and mental rehearsal.  It you have a taildragger sit in the
airplane first tail down, but then raise the tail, and sit in it in level
flight attitude.  This will acclimate you to the sight picture when in level
flight and more importantly give you the correct picture in ground effect just
before touchdown.  Tri-gear people can just leave it on the gear and get
acquainted with the view.  Spend real quality time here "chair flying" the
plane, becoming familiar with where the controls are when you are buckled in
ready to fly.  Rehearse your takeoff, climbout, and pattern all the way to
touchdown and taxi.  "See" the entire first flight in your head and practice
before the engine is ever running.  We do this with new pilots EVERYTIME we
move them into a new aircraft regardless of how many hours they have.  This
time will be very valuable for you in to ways: 1st you will know where
everything is by feel, so only a quick glance is necessary to confirm what you
want to do, and 2nd you will find if something is not practically located when
you are buckled in and going through the motions of actually flying, holding
the stick, sitting in the correct position etc...  You want to know the 2nd
before your flight not after in the air.
    Hope this helps some........

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL