From: "Wood, Sidney M." <smw...@titan.com>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 1:28 PM
Subject: KR>KR-2 Engine Choices

KRnetters,
I am building a KR-2, converted to tri-gear from retract conventional gear.
Dan Diehl gear legs are installed.  It is time for an engine.  My first
choice was a 75 hp 2180 vw direct drive with electronic ignition from Steve
Bennett.  Full-up price ready to bolt on, including freight and wood prop is
about $7,000.  Then I came across www.vw-engines.com that were offering
three sizes of vw with fuel injection.  What looked about right for my KR-2
was a 2000 cc 100+ hp model RG 2000 with a geared redrive, fuel injection
and electronic ignition.  This engine is based on a type 4 Porsche engine.
The weight with all accessories less a wood prop is 221 lbs.  To effectively
use this 100+ hp I will need a 58 inch diameter by 60 inch pitch prop.  That
means I need to raise the standing height another 3 inches for proper ground
clearance.  That means I need to replace the Diehl gear with longer gear
from www.vw-engines.com .  Also I must use a new bed-mount for the new nose
gear and redrive engine, rebuild the fuel system to accommodate low pressure
and high pressure fuel pumps, an anti-surge tank, tank selector to route
return fuel to the wing tank being used, and possibly another fuel gauge for
the anti-surge tank.  The cowl will require several bumps for the fuel
rails.  The price quote from Australia is $13,980 US plus freight and
customs to add about $700.  Another $2,000 is estimated to do the airframe
mods.

My first question: Is an extra 25 hp worth an extra $9,000?
Second: Is an estimated extra 91 pounds empty weight on a KR-2 realistic?
About 90 percent of this will be forward of the main spar and ahead of the
firewall.
Third: How will the taller gear effect ground handling and flight
characteristics?

I would appreciate your help on this engine choice matter.
Regards,
Sid Wood, KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD sidney.w...@titan.com