I sent this last week, but I botched my new subscription request so I could
receive, but could not send to the list.  Hopefully it will make it through
this time.

I went through both of these questions also.  What you need to do to fly at
night is defined by your operating limitations.  Mine said "unless
appropriately equipped for night and/or IFR operations...day VFR only".  I
asked the FSDO and EAA and both concured that I just needed to add the lights
and make a logbook entry that I had appropriately equipped the plane for night
operations.  If you are getting the limitations for the first time be sure that
the inspector puts in the "unless" clause instead of just writing your
limitations for VFR day only.  I believe that this is normally what they do,
but each inspector is different and if you don't catch it and have it fixed you
will have trouble getting them changed later.

I also asked about increasing weight on my plane that already had the operating
limitations and the gross weight established.  I spoke to two different people
at the FSDO and they referred me to someone at the MIDO in Atlanta that didn't
really know either. I called the EAA tech line and they told me that for a
homebuilt on its initial test flying you need to test fly it up to the gross
weight that you want established.  On an existing plane that you want to
increase the weight on you do it like making a major alteration by notifying
the FSDO and getting a 5 hour test period where you test up to the new gross
weight.  I called back the person at the MIDO and she concured with their
opinion.  I sent a letter to the FSDO and they concured also.

The interresting thing is that neither the MIDO or FSDO could come up with the
answer themselves, but they agreed to what I told them that I thought the
answer was.

One thing that I am fairly certain on is that you can't just pick a gross
weight out of the air and not actually test fly the plane at that weight during
the test phase without passengers and enter in the logbook that you tested at
that weight.  You do need to put the weight you tested the plane at in the
logbook after you finish the test phase.  If you only test to 900 pounds then
you have an accident someday at 1,200 pounds you are going to be in trouble no
matter what you show as your gross weight.