He said the fixed gear made his plane
>"squirellier" on the ground because it had a wider stance than the retracts.
>He started looking at tailwheel geometry, and noticed his bellcrank had only
>3"- 4" center-to-center bellcrank.  He replaced it with something closer to
>the plans, which has a 6" c-c distance, and it made a world of difference.
>Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama

The wider gear track should make it handle better.  I'd guess he's
headed in the right direction with the wider arm spacing on
the tailwheel.

As a side note, with 34.5 hours on my KR, I've found I NEVER use
the brakes for directional control except for tight turns while in the
slow taxi mode.  The rudder and tailwheel have handled directional
control for all encounters to this point.  At this point I feel that if
I need brake for directional control at speed, I've probably lost it
already.  I've found the "squirelly" part of ground handling is the
time on landing when the tailwheel comes down and I start braking
till I come to a stop.  The brakes provide too much directional control
and if not applied evenly will start you zig zagging as you try to
maintain control.  When that happens get off the brakes, regain
directional control, then get back on the brakes.  It works for me.

Larry Flesner