The static needs to be outside, even if its not the most ideal pressure point
because in flight there will be significant differences in pressure from inside
and outside the aircraft.  For VFR aircraft it typically does not show up as
being that significant, but for flying IFR you can be off as much as 200 feet,
and on approaches this could make a BIG difference!  Wanting my aircraft to
read as accurate as possible I installed a static port halfway between the
canopy opening and the firewall, figuring that should give similar accuracy as
the Cessna since theirs is located in a similar spot.  It will definitely be
more accurate than cabin pressure which is guaranteed to be off compared to
true static.  Remember this effects all instruments that use static input, that
means airspeed and altimeter, and if you use one the vertical speed indicator,
as well as the Mode C encoder for those who have one.

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com