I would be very carefull using the speed brake for anything other than just
that - slowing the bird down.

The speed break (as such) has no effect on the pitch of the aircraft - it's
like coasting down hill with a bit of handbrake applied - your car would
need a steeper hill to keep the speed up (avoid slowing down too much).

The more effective the slowing down effect is (drag), the more YOU change
the attitude of the airplane (point the nose down) to maintain your chosen
approach speed - result, a steeper approach.

We must not confuse the speed brake with a split flap such as on a Cessna
401/401 /421.  In this case the flap is under the wing where any of the
popular lift theories will apply.  A belly board is not complimented with a
cambered surface.

I am really interested in the rationale behind the holes in the belly board
- I always figured that they created serious turbulence /vortexes (vortexi?)
and thus produced more drag than I plan surface.

I have some difficulty in perceiving that they in any way reduce the load
(strain) on the flap /mounting /linkage.

Someone said they had it on good authority that the purpose was to kill any
lift.  WWII birds ha holes in spoilers above the wing - what were those for?
  Great topic withy much to learn - I hope more info is posted.

Have a great weekend

Enjoy Mr Flesner - I envy you.

Ron