Brian,
Most fibers used for laminating, including E and S glass and carbon fiber, have
a coating applied to the individual strands to enhance the adhesion of whatever
resin system would be used to glue everything together.  That coating has a
5-year shelf life.  My thought is if the shelf life is getting ready to expire,
then the dealer would reduce the price to move that batch before it expired.
The resin will not wet out old fiber very well - been there, done that.  Your
results may vary.
Sid Wood, KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD
sidney.w...@titan.com