Virginia
What I have read is that 6-8 inches clearance should be considered a minimum
for conventional/taildragger configuration, 4-6 inches minimum for tri-gear,
with the understanding that these are absolute minimums.  A hard landing and
gear compression can use up this clearance in a hurry.  You should also being
always trying to land on the mains first in tri-gear, and either 3 point or
wheel land you choice on conventional.  Greater clearance is needed for the
conventional due to the possibility of having a tail high wheel landing, and
hitting hard. The longer the gear legs, the more chance of greater
compression/more there to flex, so also keep that in mind.  I believe the Grove
gear is taller.
    The primary purpose I have read about the prop reduction units are not to
be able to run larger props, but to take the loads off the engine crankshaft,
and isolate them to bearings designed more for that load.  Secondarily you also
slow prop, allowing it to operate more in its range of efficiency, and you
multiply the TORQUE (not horsepower) of the engine due to the gained mechanical
advantage (similar to a car's drive axle ring & pinion gears).

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com