Bill,
The glass fiber in fiber glass is totally immune to any chemical attack from
anything that might be contained in any gasoline, and is also oblivious to
ultraviolet light from the sun.  The resin is another story.  Epoxy resin is
subject to UV attack.  Vinyl Ester resin is also subject to UV attack.  That is
why we hide them from the sun with primer paint that has UV protection.  100 LL
aviation gasoline works fine with epoxy resin fabricated tanks.  Automotive
fuels will contain alcohol, oxiginators, propane and other additives.  These
will attack epoxy resins.  Vinyl ester resin is immune to the additives in
automotive gasoline.  For that reason fiber glass fuel tanks should be
fabricated using vinyl ester resins.
Sid Wood, KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD USA
sidney.w...@titan.com

Is there any evidence that motor gas  will affect the fibre-glass fuel
tanks in our KR's?  I have a continental and have always used avgas, but
with the increasing costs i am considering mogas.

William J.G. (Bill) Crawford
Senior Research Consultant
Research in Building Science
CMHC, Ontario