Peter and netters
Just want to make sure that all informed properly.

The best rate of climb speed DOES decrease with altitude, while the best angle
of climb INCREASES with altitude.  Best rate of climb is simply the most
altitude in the least amount of time.  Best ANGLE of climb is the most altitude
in the shortest distance traveled regardless of the time required to attain.
When we climb for normal non-obstructed airport departure paths we use best
rate of climb, which ends up being the most efficient for time and fuel.  When
clearing obstructions, as in a short field situation, we use best angle of
climb because we need to clear objects in a short distance, and time is not the
critical factor, but rather how far we travel.

These two different speeds begin converging as we climb higher, and it is at
the point where they converge that is the service ceiling of the aircraft.
When the aircraft all but quits climbing, approximately 50fpm best rate (Vy )
and best angle (Vx) have met.  When she won't climb at all anymore, that is the
absolute ceiling, at 0fpm.

Indicated stall speed will remain the same at all altitudes, even though the
actual has increased, but the indicated Vy and Vx speeds will converge at a
constant for a given aircraft.  This is consistent regardless of the aircraft
you fly.  These numbers need to be established during your test period in order
to know in advance how your version of the KR is going to perform under given
circumstances. Prop, engine power, wing, weight will all have an effect on
these numbers.

Finishing my dual stick install (story later) and dressing up the wiring....

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com