Hi,
In my phoning around locally to source aircraft grade spruce, I got in
contact with one of the doyens of local aircraft restoration (here in
Auckland), who was somewhat cautionary about my wanting to build a KR2.  He
was less than complimentary about their undercarriage, and implied that I
could do better.  When I asked him what he suggested, he mentioned both the
Minicab and the Cavalier.  (It just turns out that he has an almost
completed Minicab which is looking for a good home...).

So off I went to the Web looking for info on the Minicab and/or
Cavalier.  Quite pretty planes, I have to admit.  But they specify large
(ie 135hp Lycoming) engines as standard.  Makes me think that the inherent
drag in the design is relatively high for such a powerful engine to only
produce a cruise of 130mph.

I didn't ask him how much his Minicab was going for, since I really am not
that interested.  I (perhaps foolishly) actually want to build my own
plane.  I might regret this, of course, but that's how I feel at the
moment.  If all you guys can successfully build really great planes, then
so can I.

Any thoughts on the Minicab/Cavalier as opposed to the KR2-S?

Duncan of Devonport
Auckland, New Zealand