Steve

It has been my experience that a crank leak is spawned by one of typically 2
problems:
    1st the crank has too much clearance between it and the seal so that in a
very short time of run in the seal leaks.
    2nd the thrust bearing has excessive play and allows the crankshaft to
"walk" too much which varies the point that the seal rides on and changes the
seat too much. The seal then wears excessively and has no life.  This is not a
wear problem exclusive to any one engine, but virtually every engine I have
ever worked on, at one point or another.

    A 3rd possibility is that you have insufficient lubrication of the seal
when installing which before it seats it wears excessively.  Also typically the
surface where the seal rides must be polished in order to re-new the surface
for good seal life and wear.

Just my 2 cents....

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA