>From: "Stephen Jacobs" <ask...@microlink.zm>

>"I've followed the Dynon EFIS since its inception, as well as the BMA
>units.  The Dynon is excellent value, but it's really not a "substitute"
>for the BMA units - which use complex heuristics

Stephen,

This was hogwash put out by Blue Mountain to support their unit.  Blue
Mountain's has a very well documented pattern of belittling the competition
as opposed to speaking about their units.  As a matter of fact, the smaller
BMA unit, as of a year ago, had never been successfully installed by a
builder with satifactory results.  Their 10K unit work well, but that is it.
  A comparison of units is in order.  The Blue Mountain and Grand Rapids
(6K) both rely on GPS input.  Anyone who flies cross country knows GPS
coverage can and will be lost on more than remote occurances.  The Dynon
relies on the pitot/static system.  Big difference.  I can assure you, the
Dynon will function as advertised.  Another point is the Dynon sends gray
code to your transponder thus eliminating the need for an encoder.  It
works, my Dynon is tied to my Garmin 327 which shows the altitude being
reported to ATC on the face.  Yes, the Dynon is in fact doing one of it's
many jobs.  If you want to go with more whiz bang, look at the Grand Rapids
Technology unit and stay as far away from Blue Mountain as you can.  Course
you are going to pay big bucks for the GRT unit.

As a side note, Dynon says they will have their engine monitering system out
by the end of the year then tackle the autopilot.

Larry, you asked if the Dynon would output info for an autopilot.  The
answer is no.  It is a flight instrument which replaced a laundry list of
heavy, round gauges.  Since it does not use GPS, it has no data to drive a
autopilot.  Remember though, the new non certified autopilots have the
ability for you to simply point the nose the direction you want to go then
activate the AP as a wing leveler and "go that way" with the ability to make
degree changes by the press of a button to tidy things up.  The Trio
Avionics EZ Pilot is the new kid on the block and will give TruTrack a run
for their money.  It kinda does what Dynon has done, give you a low cost
option to an already available instument.  Trios biggest claim to fame is
their ability to intercept a radial, lead turns at waypoints at huge angles
of intercept on an autopilot for under $1000.  TruTrack offers a unit that
will do that, but at a much higher price.  Trio used the Navaid servo.  Yes,
this autopilot will work in a KR.  I tell you what, if you truly want a
cross country KR that isn't going to wear you out maintaining an altitude
and heading.........and you want to spend the money.  Dynon, Grand Rapids
EIS 4000 engine moniter, small COM, Trio Avionics EZ Pilot coupled to a
cheap handheld with the stand alone TruTrack Altitude hold, CORVAIR!!, and
still have plenty of panel space.................... and haul some mail!!

Dana Overall
1999 & 2000 National KR Gathering host
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"