> All I am doing by raising the tail with the aircraft stationary on the
> ground is altering the angle made between the pivot stalk and the
> horizontal plane of the compass ring
>
> +++++++++++++++
>
> you are also changing the angle between all that and the big magnet
> inside mother earth
>
> ---------------------------

You are also moving the large chunk of metal on the front of the plane in
relation to the compass, which will affect the transition of the earths'
magnetic feild through the magnet in the compass card.
however it should not be that sensitive, should it???
Also a point to consider, your friends' moth is probably somewhat longer and
has greater distance between the compass and the engine, which could well
account for why it does not occur on his plane.
Cheers.
Peter Bancks
stranged...@dodo.com.au
http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com