NetHeads,

A couple of people have commented about the quality of workmanship on my
airplane.  All I can say is that they were all drinking at the time they saw
it!  The reason I say this is to lower expectations at the 2005 Gathering.
I don't want anybody looking at my wings and saying "gee, I thought these
were perfect".  They're not, and I'm not about to spend the time to make
them that way.  It's easy to look at somebody's wings and think "I can't
believe he painted those with that surface like that", but all I can say is
"until you've been there, it looks easy enough".

 I've spent the day sanding off several layers of Smooth Prime from the last
of my two wings, and managed to prime the corresponding aileron and flap.  I
discovered some neat (although polyester) stuff called Ultimate Glaze by
Dynatron.  It's a two part "finishing and blending putty" that makes quick
work of the pinholes that Smooth Prime misses.  The great thing about it is
that it's ready to sand in 15 minutes; the bad thing is that you've got
maybe two minutes to apply it after it's mixed!  If you follow the
directions and squeeze out a 3" ribbon of catalyst to a 3" diameter circle
of the stuff, it'll cure in 10 seconds!  Still, it is very easy to smooth
onto the surface and to sand (rivaling Aeropoxy Light) and you can't beat
the cure time.  Since it's polyester, you need to sand most of it off
(because polyester's famous for shrinkage), but that's what you do with
pinholes anyway, right?

I expect to prime the rest of the wing tomorrow, and call the bodywork
"close enough for KR work".  I reinstalled the canopy today for the first
time in several years, and it's starting to look a lot like an airplane.  I
will also shoot the inside of the canopy frame soon and remove the Spraylat
covering.    After I figure out canopy latches, it'll be time to taxi around
the neighborhood.  Anybody with a neat canopy latch system is welcome to
show it to me at the Gathering, or send photos.  There's a token update
photo (5 minutes old) at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/04091808m.jpg .
The thing I love about this canopy is that I can take both it AND the
forward deck off by pulling two piano hinge pins and unscrewing the two gas
strut bolts.  In two minutes I can take the forward upper half of the plane
off, and in another minute I can have the rear deck off.  Be prepared to see
the guts of a KR for all the world to see at the 2005 Gathering!

Well, my 15 minutes is up, so it's back to wing sanding for me.  How's that
song go again?  I guess Jim Faughn will remind us in a few days...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
see KR2S project at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford