Netters

I agree that it is your aircraft and you should build it the way you want it.
Like myself, Dan Heath and several other builders have repeatedly said the
thing to do is analyze what the mission of your aircraft is and then build it
to that.  Changing the mission mid stream means lots of rework usually, but
always more time than we think it will take.  Retracts are cool, and are on
over half the aircraft I have flown.  I have also been a CFI long enough to be
in the cockpit and watch several students get into circumstances where things
began to escalate in the pattern, other aircraft changing position etc...,
minor situation happen, runway assignment change at the last minute, and the
student suddenly focus on the new stuff, and omitt the gear down.  The pattern
behavior was altered and so was the habit.   My observation with this list has
been that most builders including me wnat a fun plane that is fairly relaxing
to fly, economical to operate, dependable for more frequent and safe use, and
something most any pilot can easily transition into.  It is amazing how many
pilots have a total mental melt down during an emergency and things like the
gear, flaps, prop control, get omitted.  Just the stress of taking a checkride
makes alot of them mess up!  The pilot who simply had a manual wastegate on his
turbo that wrote into the list and said the pilot had to do an unexpected
go-around and forgot to open the wastegate, blowing the head gaskets, is a
perfect example of this kind of accidental work overload.  With most of us
wanting to have a relaxing flight, it is hard enough to take a plane that you
are low hour in, get used to landing it, and still enjoy the ride, without
feeling like it is too much work.  Keeping it simple means you are flying
sooner, have less to worry about, and transition better.  For those who are
building for the first time, OR do not have alot of hours in complex aircraft
with retracts, this should be your primary considerations.  I have over 300
hours in complex aircraft out of the 1500 hours that I have flown and when I
want to work and get paid to fly, okay;  but when I want to relax and just fly
for fun, I want to pay attention to the flight, not get obsorbed in procedures
necessary to stay safe.  It is your choice, but don't get inticed by the
glitter if it doesn't match your skill level, or you don't plan on flying
enough to stay MORE than current with it.

Just like you did when you considered which aircraft to build, fixed or
retracts is also a part of that decision process.  Happy & SAFE flying....

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com